This is a un-fried version of Quarkbällchen a delicious, fluffy cake ball best served hot. A normal Quarkbällchen from the bakery has about 100 calories (30 grams per ball, about 300 calories per 100 g). If you skip the frying, you eliminate half the calories... So you can eat twice as much! Below I have listed the nutrional value of this recipe. Feel free to compare this to: http://fddb.info/db/de/lebensmittel/baecker_quarkinis_quarkbaellchen/index.html
- About 1 tablespoon butter (to grease the silicone mold)
- 1/2 package of vanilla sugar (about 4 gram)
- 1/2 pack baking powder (about 4 gram)
- 3 eggs
- 115g flour
- 105g sugar (then about 20g to roll the balls - ie 125g total)
- 125g curd/cottage cheese/yogurt - there's really no equivalent that I know of outside of Germany. I'd guess that a mix of Yogurt and Mascarpone would be amazing.
- This recipe makes 32 Quarkbällchen (depends on the size of your silicone mold).
- Grease the silicone mold. The bottom portion should be greased well. You may even skip greasing the top mold. Too much fat will prevent the cakes from rising and becoming a ball.
- Combine eggs and cottage cheese for about 1 minute, then add the vanilla sugar.
- Mix flour, sugar and pack powder then slowly add to the cheese mixture and mix for 1 minute.
- Pour batter into pastry bag and fill molds. Do not overfill. Leave a couple mm to the top, otherwise the batter will overflow.
- In a preheated oven bake at 180 degrees Celcius for 19-20 minutes. After the first 10 minutes, flip the mold.