Vanilla cupcake ingredients (makes 24 Cupcakes)
- 190g sugar (1.5 cups)
- 225g vegetable oil (1 cup)
- 240g buttermilk (1 cup)
- 350g flour (2.5 cups)
- 2 teaspoons of baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon soda
- pinch of salt
- 4 eggs
- 2 tsp vanilla extract / or 1 tsp vanilla paste
Tip: For two two slim numbers (as the "12" I made) you'll need 22 cupcakes. To create a single number that is thicker in width (so 2 cupcakes side by side), you'll need about 36 cupcakes.
Italian Buttercream ingredients (for 24 Cucpakes)
- 275 g of sugar (1 1/3 cup)
- 2 teaspoons of vanilla extract
- Egg white from 6 eggs
- 150 g of water (0.6 cup)
- 250 g of butter at room temperature (1 1/8 cup)
Decoration and tools:
- Cake board: I do not use a classic board. Instead, I opten for plywood in DINA2 size (16.5 x 23.4 inches or 420 x 594 mm).
- 500g gumpaste or modeling chocolate - I used both. The golden stars are made of modeling chocolate. The rest (except for one mermaid) from fondant or gumpaste. I recommend Satin Ice Gumpaste because it hardens faster and is super easy to work with. The modeling chocolate I made.
- Food Color - I use RainbowDust Pink, Turquoise, Purple, Yellow
- Food color in powder: Gold (I'm using a product that is no longer available in the German market) and Sugarflair Pearl. I'm a big fan of their products.
- 5 plain butter cookies, crumbled fine as sand
- Sugar pearls in gold and pearl white
- Tools: Fondant tools and brushes. Cupcake liners and muffin baking pan, of course, too.
- Pastry tip (Wilton 2D) and piping bag
- Mermaid and sea themed silicone mold
Instructions for the number shaped cake with mermaid theme:
- I recommend you prepare the gum paste decoration first (mermaid, shells, etc.). It's easier to work with them when they're dry. It's especially important that the mermaids dry. The mermaid fins otherwise won't stay upright.
- Preheat oven to 165 degrees Celcius or or 330 F.
- In a standmixer (or with a handmixer), beat eggs for one minute. Add sugar and beat for another minute.
- Mix flour, baking powder and baking soda together in a seperate bowl.
- Add vegetable oil to eggs and combine.
- Then gradually add dry ingredients to the eggs and alternate with buttermilk. Do not overbeat the flour as this will lead to dry cupcakes.
- Fold in the vanilla.
- Distribute the cupcake batter in muffin cups - fill each with a 1/4 cup measuring cup (suitable for 60 ml of water) and bake for 18 minutes.
- Allow to cool then decorate with Italian buttercream and remaining mermaid themed decoration.
* Are affiliate links so I earn money if you purchase these products on Amazon through my link. I link these products because I do not carry them all here in my shop.
This post may be considered as advertising by some, since I mention the brand name of many companies. This post is not sponsored.