Today I am introducing you to a classic, German sponge cake. This cake is made without butter and oil. It is light, fluffy and not too sweet. It tastes divine in combination with Italian Buttercream and berries.
German sponge cake ingredients:
- 6 eggs
- 270g of flour
- 2 teaspoons of baking powder
- a pinch of salt
- 230g sugar
- 1 pack of vanilla sugar (alternatively, add 2 tsp of Vanilla Extract when eggs are fully beaten).
- Beat the eggs for 1 minute in a standmixer.
- Add sugar + vanilla sugar to the eggs and beat for 15 minutes at the highest level.
- Mix flour, baking powder, salt and sift ingredients.
- Sift dry ingredients gently into he egg mixture and fold (1/3 of dry ingredients at a time)
- Spread the bater into 2 cake pans with a diameter of 20 cm / 8 inches (baking pans should be lined with parchment paper; do not grease).
- Bake in a preheated oven at 170 degrees (Celcius) for 18 - 2 minutes.
- Let cool for 5 minutes, then remove from the cake pan.
- Sponge cakes can be cut either in half or three thin slices, giving you a large 6 tiered cake.