Today we do a very simple
European chocolate cakeThe recipe makes 2 cakes (20 cm or 8 inches in diameter) which can each be cut into 3 thin layers or 2 thick layers.
- 270g of flour (2 1/3 cups)
- 35g - 40g cocoa powder (that's 1 tablespoon short of 1/2 cup)
- 230g of sugar (1 1/4 cups) and a packet of vanilla sugar, or 2 tsp of vanilla extract
- 6 eggs
- 2 teaspoons of baking powder (not baking soda!)
- 1 pinch of salt
I bake this cake in 2X 8 inch (20 cm) Wilton cake pans. I've prepared them with parchment paper. The sides should not be greased.
- In a standmixer, beat the eggs for a minute then add sugar. The standmixer needs to beat the eggs for 15 minutes. Be patient - wait until the eggs triple in volume.
- In the meantime, mix flour, baking powder, salt and cocoa powder together. At this point, turn on the oven and preheat to 350 degrees Fahrenheit (180 Celcius).
- Slowly fold in the dry ingredients into egg mixture. That takes a good five minutes.
- Spread the cake batter in 2 cake pans, each 20 cm in diameter.
- Bake in preheated oven for about 28 minutes - at 180 Celcius or 350 Fahrenheit.
- The cakes should remain in the mold for 5 minutes to cool and can then be removed.