Easter is around the corner and I thought it would be appropriate to bake an Easter bread. For both of these bread wreaths I use a simple yeast dough recipe. The preparation is really fun and can also be done with children.
Basic recipe for the Easter bread roll - Easter wreath
- 500g flour (3 3/4 cups)
- 1 tsp salt
- 50g sugar (3 tablespoons)
- 1 package dry yeast - 7g
- 1 egg
- 200 ml of milk (4/5 cups - I use soy milk)
- 60g melted butter (1/2 a stick)
- 1 egg wash (for shine) = mix 1 egg with 1 tbsp cold water. 1 egg wash is enough for 2 - 3 big Easter wreaths.
Basic instructions for the Easter bread dough
- Mix flour and salt together.
- Add all other ingredients and mix well with a spoon.
- Dust the work surface with flour and knead dough for 5 minutes.
- Put the dough in a bowl, cover with a plate and leave in a warm place for 1 hour.
- After one hour, the dough should have doubled in volume.
Additional ingredients for Easter wreath with colorful easter eggs
- 6 colored easter eggs - uncooked!
- 2.5 tbsp milk (I use oat milk)
- 95g powdered sugar (about 3/4 cup)
- 3 tablespoons colorful sugar sprinkles
Preparation for easter bread with colorful easter eggs
- Warm up the 200ml milk and melt the 60g butter in it. For making the dough, the milk-butter mixture should be lukewarm - not hot, not cold.
- Dye 6 white, uncooked eggs. For this you can use normal Easter egg color sets, or if you have food colors at home, use them. It is important that the eggs are uncooked.
Easter wreath with colorful Easter eggs instructions
- Cut the dough in half.
- Roll out each half into a long coil about 1 meter long (36 inches).
- Cover baking tray with baking paper.
- Lay the dough coils on baking paper.
- Rotate strands to form a cord, place a colored Easter egg between the strands, twist strands again. Repeat until all eggs have been incorporated.
- Brush the easter wreath with egg wash and let it rest for 30 minutes.
- Bake at 180 degrees (350 Fahrenheit) for 20-25 minutes.
- Allow to cool for a few minutes, then spread icing and sprinkles.
Filling ingredients for poppy seed cinnamon Easter wreath
- 100g butter at room temperature (a little let than half a cup)
- 3 teaspoons cinnamon
- 3 teaspoons poppy seeds
Poppy seed cinnamon Easter bread instructions
- Roll the dough into a rectangle about 35 X 50 cm (12 inches X 20 inches)
- Mix the filling ingredients (butter, cinnamon and poppy seeds) with a fork.
- Spread the filling onto the dough. Leave about 1/2 an inch on all edges.
- From the longer side, roll up the dough into a long coil.
- Cut rolled dough strand into 3 equal-sized strands, then braid.
- Brush with egg wash and let rest for 30 minutes.
- Bake at 180 degrees for 20-25 minutes at 350 Fahrenheit (180 Celcius).