Attention - Recipe changed and improved on July 14, 2017
Yum! I took this cake with me to the office and my coworkers loved it. Little did they know, it was super easy to make. So if you have some time this weekend and want to try a new recipe, here's your recipe. Below you will find video instructions - but spoken in German. So here are the bits and pieces that you will need to know:
I bake the cakes in 3 8-8inch pans (Wilton) at 180 Celcius for 23 minutes. After that, I allow them to cool completely before placing them in the fridge for 20 - 30 minutes.
All the butter used in this recipe is at room temperature. The water added to the batter is boiling - so I add it in bits at a time. This helps dissolve the cocoa powder.
Ingredients for the easiest, delicious chocolate cake:
- 230g butter
- 300g sugar
- 4 eggs
- 2 packs vanilla sugar (about 16g)
- 37g cocoa powder (unsweetened)
- 390g flour
- 9g baking soda
- 3g baking powder
- 170g hot boiling water
- 170g buttermilk
Instructions for the chocolate cake with buttermilk:
- Beat butter until creamy with a blender.
- Add the sugar (incl vanilla sugar) and stir.
- Gradually add eggs to the mixture, stirring constantly.
- Mix dry ingredients: flour, baking soda, soda, cocoa powder.
- Gradually add the dry ingredients to the moist ingredients and slowly add in buttermilk in intervals.
- Finally, add hot water quickly to the batter and stir.
- Divide cake batter into 3 round baking pans with a diameter of 20 cm and bake for about 25 minutes in a preheated oven at 180 degrees.
Ingredients for the chocolate buttercream:
- 330g butter
- 800g powdered sugar (8 cups)
- 140g cocoa powder (unsweetened)
- circa 80ml buttermilk