Challah bread recipe with honey - makes two Challah loafs
- 3 eggs
- 4 tablespoons honey (1/2 cup)
- 625ml lukewarm water (2 1/2 cups)
- 1 pack of dried yeast
- 30g melted butter or vegetable oil (about 3.5 tablespoons)
- 1 tbsp salt
- 1K flour (about 7 1/2 cups)
- 1 egg for brushing the bread loafs
- Topping: Crushed rock sugar (2 tblsp) or sesame or combine bread with raisins, etc.
Challah bread instructions:
- Combine dry years, luke warm water, honey, 3 eggs, vegetable oil and salt in a large bowl. Whisk for a minute or two.
- On a standmixer, use the hook attachement and gradually add flour to the wet ingredients. Knead bread for about 5 minutes until all the ingredients are well incorporated and the dough is stretchy.
- Knead briefly by hand and grease the sides of the bowl. Place bread in bowl, cover with a plate and leave in a warm spot for 2 - 3 hours until the dough has doubled in volume.
- Cut the dough into two portions - one slightly larger than the other. Knead briefly then allow to rest again for 30 minutes.
- Use the smaller dough to cut into 3 portions and braid. Use the larger one to do a 4-string braid.
- Preheat oven to 180 C or 350 F.
- In a small bow, crack the egg and whisk with a fork. Then generously brush the loafs with egg.
- Sprinkle crushed rock sugar or other topping.
- Bake on parchment paper for 35 - 40 minuntes. Then, enjoy!