Black Forest Cake Recipe in EnglishEuropean inspired chocolate sponge cake:
I've created a detailed recipe for the chocolate sponge cake before. You can find the detailed instructions here: https://www.keyk.de/en/blog/baking-recipes-and-ideas/european-chocolate-cake-base. I use the same exact measurements as indicated in the recipe, which means:
- 270g of flour (2 1/3 cups)
- 35g - 40g cocoa powder (1/2 cup)
- 230g of sugar and a packet of vanilla sugar (1 1/4 cup)
- 6 eggs
- 2 teaspoons of baking powder
- 1 pinch of salt
Chantilly Cream and cherry filling:
- 800g heavy cream (35% fat) - that's 3 1/3 cups. Put 3/4 a cup aside to comine with agar.
- 40g sugar (1/3 cup)
- 3 tsp Agar (2 to 3 depending on the brand)
- 350g tart pitted cherries - I use tart pitted cherries that come in a glass container, covered in fruit juice. The glass is filled with 350g tart cherries (about 2 cups) and about a cup and a half of fruit juice. Set aside 10 - 15 pretty cherries to use for decoration later.
- 400g bittersweet chocolate (14 ounces)
- For the cream filling, whip 600g whipping cream with 40g sugar until stiff (all of the heavy cream except the 3/4 cup you've set aside).
- Stir agar in 200g whipped cream (about 3/4 cup) and bring to a boil. Agar needs to boil to activate. Pour into a cool bowl and whisk.
- Stir 3 tsp of the stiff chantilly cream into the boiled cream to bring it to room temperature.
- Then add agar-cream to the stiff heavy cream and stir until it becomes a smooth, creamy consistency. Keep in the fridge while preparing remaining ingredients.
- Put the first sponge cake in a cake ring/frame and moisten with cherry fruit juice.
- Spread 3 tablespoons of cream then distribute about half of the tart cherries in the middle. Keep about an inch of space between cherries and edge of cake. Spread another 1 - 2 tablespoons of cream to level the layer.
- Add another layer of sponge cake, moisten with juice and layer with 3 tablespoons of cream.
- Add another sponge cake and distribute 3 tablespoons of cream. Then spread the remaining tart cherries in the middle and flatten the layer with cream.
- Put the last cake on top and apply a thin layer (1 tbsp) of cream on top.
- Put the cake and the remaining cream in the refrigerator for at least 4 hours.
- Melt 400 g of dark chocolate over a water bath and then spread on a piece of baking paper at a distance of about 2 cm (or an inch) from the edge. (Baking paper size: 38 x 42 cm, 15 inches X 16.5 inches)) Then put a piece of baking paper on the chocolate and roll. Put in the refrigerator for exactly 2 hours. Then roll out and put all pieces of chocolate in on a flat plate and place in the fridge to keep cool.
- Once the cake has been in the fridge for at least 4 hours, remove the cake ring, apply a thin layer of Chantilly Cream (2 tablespoons) around the cake (should remain naked cake style) and apply long pieces of chocolate around the cake. (Chocolate should stick to the cream.)
- Cut the remaining chocolate into small pieces and spread on the cake, then decorate the cake with the remaining cream (with a pastry bag and a large star tip) and tart cherries.