Coconut cake ingredients (3X 20cm cake pans / 8"):
- 225g butter (room temperature)
- 1 3/4 cups of sugar - 350g
- 4 eggs
- 390g flour (3 cups)
- 3/4 cup of coconut milk + 3 Tsp coconut oil
- 3/4 pack of baking soda - 12g
- Vanilla extract 1 tsp / pack vanilla sugar, but then reduce the sugar
Syrup ingredients (in the video I use 2X the amount and had way too much left over)
- 15 ml of coconut milk (1/16 of a cup)
- 15 ml of water (1/16 of a cup)
- 1 tbsp of sugar
White chocolate, coconut filling ingredients:
- 100g white chocolate
- 2 heaped tbsp of powdered sugar
- 500g heavy cream
- 1 pack of cream stiffener (8g)
- 75g coconut chips/flakes
After completing the filling, you should have 4 Tbsp left over to pipe on the decoration.
- Cream mixture + either more gelatin or butter + powdered sugar to get a solid, piping consistency.
- 8 Rafello balls
- Mix butter at room temperature for 2-3 minutes with hand mixer
- Add sugar and mix for 1 minute (preferably one cup at a time)
- Add one egg after another leaving 30 seconds before adding next egg. The result should be a really nice creamy mixture. If you have lumps, then the butter wasn't soft enough.
- Combine baking powder and flour
- Combine coconut milk and oil in a pot and heat at low temperature until oil has melted.
- Add the dry ingredients slowly to the butter mixture (2 heaped tablespoons at a time) and alternate with coconut milk /oil mix.
- Divide cake batter into 3X 20cm baking molds (8 inches)
- Bake at 180 degrees Celsius for 25 minutes (do the toothpick test)
- Wait until cake is cooled (prepare remaining ingredients in the meantime)
Put the ingredients together in a saucepan and heat at a moderate temperature until the sugar dissolves.
- Combine white chocolate and 2-3 tablespoons heavy cream over a water bath until the chocolate is melted. Stir until it comes to room temperature.
- Combine heavy cream with cream stiffener and 2 heaped Tbsp of powdered sugar and beat until stiff.
- Then fold melted white chocolate to cream.
Bring everything together:
- Ensure even cakes with a cake leveler.
- Sprinkle syrup on cakes.
- Place the first cake on a serving dish or cake board spread 1/4 - 1/3 of the filling onto the cake.
- Sprinkle 1/4 - 1/3 of the coconut chips on the filling.
- Repeat steps 2 & 3.
- About 3 - 4 tablespoons of white chocolate / cream filling should be left. Add butter (about 50g + 2 tablespoons of powdered sugar) or a little gelatine or cream, and pipe on the cake as a decoration.
- Spread Rafello balls and coconut sprinkles on the cake.
- Refrigerate for 2 - 3 hours.